Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Semi-obnoxious angel


January 27, 2009

I worked hard on conquering one of my favorite cognitive distortions today; all or nothing thinking. This morning as I was getting ready for work I was in pain, felt sick and I was soooo tired. "How am I going to do this today?" I mumbled to myself as I showered and got dressed. "No Abby, just because you don't feel well right now doesn't mean the entire day is going to be this way," the angel on my shoulder reminded me. And sure enough the entire day wasn't that way. I felt pretty good the majority of the day. In fact then I caught myself thinking, "Maybe it's passed? Maybe I'm all better!" And then the angel spoke again, "No-no Abby. Just because you feel better right now doesn't mean you're all healed! If you start thinking that way you are going to be devastated when you don't feel well again." Oh! She's right. I know she is; my little semi-obnoxious angel.

So I tried to maintain some balance today as I processed how I was feeling, both emotionally and physically. I also sang along to Manic Monday on the radio (I know it's Tuesday) on the way home from work instead of I Grieve, which maybe helped my mood a little too!

3 comments:

  1. I love the irony of things like that... singing Manic Monday on a Tuesday, singing Let is Snow in July, or throwing in a TGIF on Thursday just to see if people are paying attention. I'm glad your angel is semi-obnoxious, I think many of ours are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had to stop and think about what day of the week it was when I heard the song on the radio. Then I laughed and thought, "I wonder how often they play that song on days other than Monday?"
    =) Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate your willingness to share so openly Abby. I tried to leave a comment a few days ago on a previous, post, but something wasn't working. I too struggle with the "all or nothing thinking"...and I didn't fully realize that believing everything is great after I have a good day sets me up for just as much disappointment as when I think everything is horrible after one bad day. Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete