Friday, January 23, 2009

Reach out, reach out and touch someone

January 23, 2009

Jeremy got home from work last night just as I was finally falling asleep (10ish). He came to bed an hour or so later, and as he crawled in next to me he started smoothing my hair. He kissed my forehead a few times and then whispered to me, "Do you want a back rub to help you sleep?" I half cried, "Oh yeah sweetie, that would be so nice." I turned onto my side and drifted off to sleep as he soothed my aching muscles.

It's amazing to me these days - the power of touch. I have this heightened awareness of all things tactile. I kid you not when I say that I have almost been brought to tears by my co-workers a couple of times when they took my hand in theirs and asked how I'm doing. When you are struggling with so much pain, you just don't realize what the smallest bits of affection mean. Do you remember the old AT&T commercials? "Reach out, reach out and touch someone." My new mantra!

I think this must be why I'm soaking in warm baths almost every day now and of course it's why I LOVE cuddling with Django and petting him - so few things feel good to me physically. I totally immerse myself in the positive sensations that I find. But you know, I think it's more than that too. I think there is a part of my heart that has opened up to love more than it ever did before. I want to snuggle up to as many people as I can - with my whole heart and soul. I'm not feeling the need to put up a protective, tough front. Bring on the love! Because I am acutely aware now of how much I need that love.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    My name is John Kalawitzky, Esq. I am writing on behalf of my client, AT&T. I am writing to inform you of copyright infringement by the website wholeheartandsoul.blogspot.com with regard to the phrase, “Reach out, reach out and touch someone.” We do recognize, and respect, the privacy and/or anonymity in relation to said site owner’s “blogging” and coinciding First Amendment rights. This is to serve as a cease and desist notice to the owner of wholeheartandsoul.blogspot.com. The owner must discontinue the use of the phrase, “Reach out, reach out and touch someone,” or risk incurring the cost of identifying owner of said website, and ensuing lawsuit.

    Sincerely,
    John Kalawitzky, JDL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a chill pill John. Life's too short!
    Abby

    (BTW: You remind me of someone I know - hmmmm . . . a brother of mine maybe?)

    ReplyDelete