Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The birth of comedy

March 10, 2009

I feel like I just need to sigh. I need a moment of quiet right now. I need to still myself and just listen. This is the time, right now, when I can decide where my attitude is going to be.

I've been trying too hard to keep it together today. I feel a torrent moving through me, crashing up against me, trying to break out. The odd thing? I want to laugh. I want to laugh because sometimes what life throws at us is just so much it's almost funny. I want to laugh and I want to scream and I want to curse. "IS THAT ALL YOU'VE GOT?!!" I want to yell at the universe, at God; "Bring it on God! If you're going try me, then TRY me!"

Isn't this where comedy is born?

1 comment:

  1. It kind of reminds me of Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump - during the storm. He's up on the mast cursing and screaming at God, just as you said. And that was pretty funny :) But you know it poured down on them and they rode it out and were the only shrimpin' boat to survive. Yeah, it's just a movie (and I may not be remembering it exactly right), but I think you're on to something - sometimes laughing is all you can do, and it gets you through. My acupuncturist has told me about laughing groups where it's almost like meditation - they get together and laugh with intention and it's contagious you know - so soon you're surrounded by a bunch of laughing people and I imagine that it would be very healing :) We could all laugh a little more often...

    ReplyDelete