Friday, April 24, 2009

Dilations, biopsies, and meds, oh my!

April 24, 2009

I feel like Wednesday was such a healing day for me. And boy, Jeremy and I have been showered with loving thoughts and the kindness of so many people this week. One dear friend wrote a song about Harper for us and I got to hear it last night. I started crying and just looked at Jeremy in amazement and said, "We are so blessed."

Health-wise I'm doing okay I suppose. I had another dilation today. Dr. T said the opening to my jpouch wasn't as closed up as it had been last week, so that's good. She wants me to come back again in two weeks. She listened to me explain the symptoms I've been having the last few days (watery stools, increased number of BMs a day, pelvic pain, etc.). She said that sounds like pouchitis. She gave me a script for flagyl and said I should take that along with the cipro for the next two weeks. Ick! Flagyl has a horrible taste to it (of course cipro leaves my mouth tasting like metal all the time which is pretty icky too!). But if taking a few pills is going to help me feel better, then so be it!! I won't complain (or maybe I'll just complain this little bit here in my blog). Dr. T took some biopsies while she was inside me to see if I do in fact have pouchitis. I'm placing money on that I do have it. We'll see. She said she would wait till my office appointment with her on the 13th to talk long-term plans (surgery?).

I don't know what got into me today. As I was laying on my side in the procedure room, IV sticking out of my arm, waiting for the drugs and for Dr. T to come in and uncover my backside and begin, I started crying. I just felt so overwhelmed. And tired. The nurse, Micah, was having a conversation with another nurse, but he noticed my tears. He reached for a box of tissues and handed them to me, smiling tenderly as he did so. I was glad he didn't ask what was wrong. I really didn't know. But it felt good to cry, and I was okay after a few moments.

I took my long, post-medication nap after getting home. This evening has been nice and mellow. I'll probably do a little writing and then head to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment