Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The cat's out of the bag!!

June 16, 2009

Well, the cat's out of the bag! And I have to say, without sounding like I'm bragging here, I have some of the best friends in the world!! Last week I went to lunch with my dear friend Mayday, and she let me in on the surprise she (and others) had been coordinating. For those of you who weren't in on the surprise, friends and family generously chipped in to send Jeremy and I on a weekend getaway.

As with many of my friends and family, Mayday has been there for me every step of the way in my recovery and healing. She has listened to me talk about the intimate details of my grief. And at one point along the way, she really heard me when I was talking about Jeremy and my relationship; how our world seemed consumed with doctors' appointments and fear, how we had lost touch with the "us" we used to be. She heard me talk about our hopes to one day just get away from it all. And apparently that set the wheels in motion.

So, unbeknownst to me, she started planning. She had mentioned to me a few weeks back that she was planning this surprise, but was a little stuck in knowing just what the right thing for us would be and when a good time would be for us to do it. And at that time I thought the surprise was that she would book a couple of nights for us at a hotel in the city of our choice. I thought to myself, "Well, we could probably afford to do a road trip to San Diego, and I know La Pension is pretty inexpensive to stay at. We could go to the beach for free." I was super excited, but I had no idea that the generosity of friends and family would allow us to do so much more!

Last week she told me the total amount she had collected. I was floored. I teared up and, yes, I think Mayday would agree, I was speechless. And now, after talking with Jeremy and planning the trip, I am excited beyond words!!!

So here's what the trip will consist of: On the morning of July 24th Jeremy and I will fly to San Francisco and will take a shuttle from the airport to the Villa Florence (a beautiful hotel my mom and I stayed at in Union Square about 10 years ago at the direction of Bryce Baker - a friend who is a travel agent in MN) where we will stay for the weekend. On Saturday, we will go on a wine tasting tour of Napa Valley. We'll visit four different vineyards, lunch included! The end of the tour consists of a ferry ride across the bay with up close and personal views of the Golden Gate Bridge. We'll fly home on Sunday evening. There will be plenty of time Friday and Sunday to explore the city and eat some good food. ALL OF THIS IS COVERED BY THE GIFT OF OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

So, I am once again humbled (and excited) by the kindness and generosity of the people in our lives. This is just what Jeremy and I need, and honestly, it has come at the perfect time. It has come at a time when I feel well enough to actually enjoy it. At a time when fear is no longer the main emotion ruling our lives. At a time when Jeremy and I are able to focus on each other and not my illness. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

I don't yet know the details of everyone who contributed to this gift for us, so a more specific thank you will absolutely be coming. I do know that people have been generous with Jeremy and I every step of the way. You wouldn't believe it if I told you. During my hospitalization, multiple people gave us thousands of dollars to help pay our mortgage and other bills. Family members paid for plane tickets (multiple times) and gave of their precious time to come and help out during my total of 12 weeks in the hospital. Many friends helped take care of Django (feeding, letting him out, spending time with him) so Jeremy could stay with me at the hospital during the times that I just couldn't be alone. Friends made food for Jeremy during that time (and believe me - anything other than hospital food was greatly appreciated!). We were flooded with cards and e-mails and good wishes. I could go on and on . . .

As I was thinking about all of this on my way home from work yesterday, I was energized by the goodness of others. I was inspired to help other people out when they are in a tough spot because I know how uplifting and really energizing kindness can be for those who give and for those who receive. It's just a beautiful thing. And as I said to Mayday, it is heartwarming to see that "people are good."

No comments:

Post a Comment