Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Me!

March 24, 2010

Today is one of those significant anniversaries for me. March 24, 2008, the day I was hospitalized. The beginning of events that would change my life forever.

I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. G (my GI) on Monday. He looked at the CT scan results from my recent hospitalization and said that I did in fact have an obstruction. That's what caused all that pain. He said they didn't know what caused it, could have been an adhesion, inflammation, or something I ate. If it was an adhesion or inflammation it could happen again. Well, I guess if it was something I ate it could happen again, but I honestly don't think that's what it was. Anyway, it resolved itself and all is well. In fact, all is better than well. Dr. G asked me if I wanted to come back to see him in six months. I clapped my hands and said, "Yes!" SIX MONTHS!! I haven't gone that long without seeing him in two years. I got all choked up when I scheduled the appointment on my way out.

I told Jeremy Dr. G said it was an obstruction. "Huh. Your first obstruction." The possibility of obstructions comes with the territory when you have a j-pouch. While the pain was right up there with the worst I've experienced (a 10 out of 10 on the pain scale - and I have a pretty high tolerance), it's still good to know if it happens again that's what it will be like.

A while back I decided I wanted to start giving back. I'm feeling good, I'm able bodied - time to do some volunteering, but I wanted to find something to do that I felt passionately about. I decided the Ronald McDonald House would be a good fit. I could give back to families and children who were dealing with major medical issues, but I didn't have to be in the hospital setting. Perfect. So last night I went to an orientation at the Ronald McDonald House. While we were going through a tour of the house we met a few of the families staying there. We passed one pregnant woman in the hallway. She spoke briefly with one of the staff and thanked her a couple of times. The staff woman had tears in her eyes and said to a couple of us walking near her, "It always amazes me how these people who are going through some of the most difficult times are so thankful for everything." I knew exactly what she was talking about. When I was in the hospital I thanked everybody for everything all the time. It got exhausting to be honest with you. But people were doing things for me all day long, and quite unglamorous things at that. Things that I couldn't do for myself. How could I not say thank you all day long?

On my drive home I thought about Harper. I wondered if emotionally I would be able to this volunteer work or not. Is it going to bring up too much stuff for me? Have I healed enough? Or is that exactly why I need to do it? It's no longer about me. I can understand much of what these people are going through. Isn't it time to give back to them, even if it's hard for me? That's what sacrifice is, right?

I got home around 8:00 p.m. after the orientation and there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers sitting on my welcome mat from my dad and his wife. A little bit of sunshine just when I needed it!! I'm not going to view today's anniversary as a sad occasion. Today I'm alive. I'm here and I'm feeling good! So happy anniversary to me!! I survived!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you do it, but Im sitting here with tears in my eyes again, but this time they are tears of happiness for you! Happy Anniversay to you too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete