Friday, December 17, 2010

Visions of sugar-plumbs

December 17, 2010

My dreams this week have been crazy. I'm almost embarrassed to say it (though I think those of you who are colonless or have bowel issues might understand), but I actually dreamt that I had a normal bowel movement. In reflecting on that dream, I think it was a hopeful sign. I've given a lot of thought to how having the revision surgery may affect me, and one of my hopes is that my bowel movements will be more "normal" as a result. (More "normal" being not going 12 times a day and being able to have bowel movements that come out larger than the size of a pencil - sorry if that's too much information.) I guess that hope has gone deeper into my psyche than I realized.

Then last night I had a nightmare about my upcoming hernia repair. I don't even want to call it a surgery because it's so minor, but apparently I'm a little more concerned about it than I've allowed myself to acknowledge. Last night I dreamt that my surgeon began cutting into me and completely opened me up and I hadn't even been put under. I started yelling, "What are you doing?! Stop! I can feel that!" I'm know that's a pretty common pre-surgery dream for folks, but it still has me shuddering a little.

So here's to an upcoming night of sweet dreams. Visions of sugar-plumbs would be okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment