Monday, July 6, 2009

The Dream Police

July 6, 2009

I've been alone a little too long today. I think it's making me a lee-tle bit goofy. I have all these conversations with you, the reader, in my mind during the day. Every day really. I think to myself, "Oh I want to write about that," or "What would they think if I wrote about that?" It's a strange thing, this blogging world. It's strange to know there are people out there who know really personal things about my life but don't really know me. It's strange, but that's okay with me. The honesty part of this blog has helped me more than I could explain. It's helped me be real with myself about what I'm feeling and thinking. It's helped me be a more authentic person. It's given me purpose in hoping to at least have touched one life, to have comforted at least one person, to have helped one person not feel alone. And it's taught me something else too; we can only touch each other's lives if we are real and honest about what we're going through. That's been a huge lesson for me.

Anyway . . . so today I was worrying about what the indefinable you thinks of me. Yep. I was worried. I worry about that from time to time. I let the ugly side of me show in this blog; the dark thoughts, the jealousy, the self-centered, self-pitying parts. I let them all hang out there in the name of honesty and growth. But I'm still incredibly insecure. I still just want to be liked by people like everyone else. (Did I mention I let the insecure part hang out there too?) Today was one of those days that I started questioning if this blog is still serving a purpose. Or maybe it's just that the purpose shifts from time to time for me and when it does I'm aware that it's happening. I don't know . . . like I said, it's been a long day of me and Django at home together.

Speaking of which, I was getting a little tired of being inside my own head. So what did I do? I watched the movie What Dreams May Come. If you've seen the movie, I know what you're thinking, this chic is sadistic, right? But it wasn't like that. Lately I've been drawn to movies that express things that I can relate to (somewhat any way). I could relate to the depression of the wife in this one, and to the relationship between the husband and wife. Other movies that are incredibly intense but that I seem to relate to parts of right now are In America, Fearless, Frida, and What Dreams May Come. Okay, so back to my story.

I watched the movie and then Django had to go outside and I realized I had been in the house pretty much all day, except for getting the mail and stepping outside to let him out a few times. I was feeling a little ho-hum and knew that I needed a little boost. It was way to hot to go outside and exercise, besides, I wanted to do something fun. So what did I do? I decided to dance. What the heck? My curtains were pulled closed. No one could see me. Why not? I knew it would put me in a good mood. I can't believe I'm even writing about this. I feel like such a geek. But maybe you need a good laugh today, so here's the scene:

The closest CD I could see was Cheap Trick. Okay. I could do Cheap Trick. I could rock out to that. So I put it in and the first song was Surrender. Right on. I'm not even going to try to describe myself dancing, alone in my living room. I'll let your imagination have fun with that one, but be sure the words awkward and silly are somewhere in there, okay? Django was laying on the floor, only his eyes following me as I hurdled over him to the beat. He wasn't amused. But I needed a partner, so I went to his treat jar and pulled out a treat. Bribery always works. In no time at all I had a four-legged friend dancing around the room with me, following my every move. It was hilarious. But then I think Django got a little carried away and took The Dream Police a little too seriously (him being the police, me being the robber), and he started chasing me a little too energetically. But it made me laugh, so it was all good.

I'm not even sure why I wrote about that. To make you laugh maybe? I don't know. It'll be good to get back to work tomorrow. (Don't quote me on that though.)

4 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, I'm in troube, I think you wrote this post to me! It DID make me laugh. But here's the thing about blogstalking -- you're not so different from anyone else reading this. You have had extraordinary events happen to you recently, but you're not the only one dancing around in your living room. And I'll even confess that I sometimes do it in my underwear. EEK! If you saw me in my underwear... oh, never mind, I digress. ;-)

    If being in the spotlight ever gets to be too much for you, you can always make your blog private or by permission only. I did that for a while because I found myself writing for others instead of myself. And you may be surprised to know that some of us anonymous people (meaning ME) have actually blogged about YOU and what you have written. I am not trying to make this painful for you, but I've written about how you and I walked a very similar path, one that is way too close for comfort. Only mine had a good outcome and yours didn't. And I grieve for you even though I don't know you, because there but for the grace of God go I. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I was sure someone would make reference to Tom Cruise when I posted this blog.) No doubt I'm not the only one dancing! And isn't it great that I'm not the only one?!
    I know I could make this private, but for now the pros are outweighing the cons for me in keeping it public. (But I do stop and check the scales from time to time.)
    I'm glad that the outcome for you was good. I know I don't always come across as believing this whole heartedly, but I feel like my outcome was good too. When I look at my life as a whole, I am a better person and in a better place now than I ever have been before. I don't know what part of the path we have walked together, but it's comforting for me to know I'm not alone. Thank you for telling me that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess this really isn't a comment, but I just wanted to follow up to your reply. I am very glad to know that you feel your outcome was good. We share the illness, surgeries, hospitalizations, treatments, weight gain/stretch marks, I'm from Illinois but now live in Arizona, and Hubby and I just celebrated 12 years of marriage, etc. Many, many similarities.

    Our paths separated with our children. While I don't want to apologize for having a healthy child, I do want to acknowledge your loss. I don't know what to say beyond that. I have tried to type a few different things, but they just don't sound right.

    And I keep wondering how to pronounce "Django."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for following-up with me. I think that's one of the amazing things about the internet (duh Abby) - that we can connect with people we would never otherwise meet - around some pretty meaningful issues too. I don't take the friendsihps that I've made through "pen-pals" from different blogs lightly either.
    Oh, I'm so glad you have a healthy child. Maybe some day that will be me too! Who knows? Your sensitivity to my situation is touching. Thank you.

    The "D" is silent. =)

    ReplyDelete