Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanks for listening

November 23, 2009

I worry that something's wrong with me, mentally speaking that is. It seems like I think about my time in the hospital all the time. I don't know why. It frustrates me. I can't seem to let it go. I woke up in the night Saturday night, Jeremy happened to wake up at the same time. I whispered to him, "I can't stop thinking about the hospital. I feel silly." He reached over and smoothed my hair and said, "It's not silly. You lived there for a long time." I think part of it is that yes, I was there for a long time. I spent almost three months in the hospital in 2008. Three months. That's equivalent to an entire summer. Have you ever spent the entire summer someplace other than home?

I think the other part is that there were very few people who shared in the experience with me. My family - they were there for parts of it. Jeremy - I think there was only one day he missed that whole time. But for the most part, I was alone in the experience. My friends didn't hang out with me while I was there. I'm sure many of them would have if I had been in any kind of shape to have visitors, but I wasn't and actually requested that people not come and visit for the majority of the time. And who wants to hear about the gory details now? Once in a while I'll explain my experiences to people in conversations. Once in a while.

I drove by the hospital at night last week on my way home from a friend's house. Hmmm . . . the hospital at night. I was transported. When things were rough, I had Jeremy or my mom or my dad stay the night at the hospital with me. Many nights though, I was alone. It makes me want to sob right now just thinking about it. I was stuck in that room for so long. Very few times did I actually get outside to even see the sunshine in person.

My nights were so long. I couldn't let myself fall asleep until I had been given my last insulin shot and heparin shot for the day. I hated getting the shots, and there was no way I was going to be able to fall asleep knowing they were yet to come. I usually turned on the television and tried to watch some mindless crap to pass the time. But it was hard to focus, both visually and emotionally. Sometimes I laid there in the silence. Sometimes I cried. Before I lost Harper I would also often get a visit from someone from maternity who would come to listen for her heartbeat. I usually liked that, hearing her heartbeat, but there were times that I didn't. There were times that it just reminded me of how helpless I was and times that it felt pointless to me because I had this foreboding about her.

Things would go wrong in the night sometimes too, when I was alone. Something would cause them to worry about pneumonia or blood clots so they would take me down to the lab to have a chest x-ray done, or bring in the technicians to my room to do the x-rays right there. And there was the changing of the guard every evening. It wasn't till almost 9:00 p.m. sometimes before I would get to know who my night nurse would be. If it was someone new, I would have to explain everything to him or her about why I was there.

Sometimes in the night I wouldn't be able to sleep. Imagine that. So I would pull myself out of my bed, wrap a robe around my shoulders, grab my IV pole, and attempt to walk a lap or two around the nurses station. Saying walk kind of makes me laugh though. It was more like I went for a scoot or a shuffle than anything else. I wasn't always able to do that. For a good few weeks there walking was too difficult for me and I required assistance.

The nights I was able to sleep were interrupted all night long by trips to the bathroom and the night sweats. When I would wake up, my bed and clothes were wet with sweat. Sometimes I would ask someone to change my sheets before I went back to bed, sometimes I didn't want to wait so I crawled in and just tried to position myself so I was on the dry parts of the bed. I hated that. The IV machine beeped off and on all night. It beeped when it was time to change my meds. It beeped when there was a kink in the line, and usually it beeped for a reason that no one could figure. I don't even remember any more how frequently they came to check my vitals during the night. Was it every two hours, or every four? I tried to sleep through that sometimes. And every morning at about 3:00 a.m. they came to draw blood. Because I had a PIC line that didn't require that they stick me, so I was lucky that way, but it usually woke me up anyway.

It's hard you know. It's hard to have all these experiences that I keep to myself. And I don't know when it's okay to purge them. And I don't know if I should be past the needing to purge stage. I really don't know. Anyway . . . thanks for "listening."

2 comments:

  1. Those experiences are pretty common amongst UC/j-pouchers, with the exception of Harper. Personally, my time in the hospital was spread out over 1½ years, the equivalent of 5½ months of my life. It was rough and very similar to yours. And no, people don't want to hear about it. It makes them anxious about their own mortality. One day, Abby is young and health and the next day, Abby is very sick. If it happened to you, it can happen to them.

    I have long since forgiven those that failed me during that time, or at least I've moved on. They can't understand what it was like, and I probably don't want them to. Life is easier when you don't understand all of this, mortality, serious illness, etc. You can't understand it until you've gone through it yourself, so I forgive them for what they do not know.

    I'm sure you've heard this before, but in the event that you haven't, like many who have had this experience, I'd guess that you have a pretty textbook case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

    For a long time following my surgery, I had the urge to run up to strangers warning them about my experiences in case it happened to them. PTSD all the way...

    I still think about it. And it's been a long, long time. It changed the path of my life, but some of the fruit from that rotten tree is good. I'm seen as a very compassionate person that many people in many different areas of my life seek out to talk to when they have Issues (capital I). They share things with me that they would not share with others, and that is a great gift to recieve from someone, for them to share their TRUTH with you to seek comfort and support.

    I hope eventually, you are able to see the other side of the coin as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Thank you, and as someone who has shared similar experiences, let me just say - I'm so sorry you had to go through that and all the loneliness that comes with the territory.
    I am seeing the other side of the coin. Just the other day I caught myself mid-sentence talking to someone and saying, "I wouldn't change what I've been through." I feel like it's made me a deeper, more thankful, and yes, more compassionate person. Boy, and what I've learned spiritually about myself . . . (Except I would change the part about having my daughter alive. That part I have not yet reconciled.)
    Yeah, I'm sure I've had some PTSD. I'm just not sure if it's to the level that I need to seek help in working through it or not. That's the part that I worry about. One of the main criterion with mental illness is whether it interferes with your daily life or not. I guess this one is. So maybe it's time to go back to Dr. N for a while. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete