Sunday, May 2, 2010

No Colon & Still Rollin'

May 2, 2010

This past week Jeremy called me and told me he heard on the radio about a walk that was taking place in Tucson to help fight Crohn's and Colitis. "Do you wanna look into it? I think we should do it," he offered. So I hopped on-line and found out about the walk and signed us up right away.

On Saturday, May 8th, Jeremy and I will be doing the 2010 Take Steps for Crohn's & Colitis walk here in Tucson. So the funny thing about this, that just dawned on me today, is that the walk will be on the 2 year anniversary of the date I had my colon removed. How appropriate is that?! I can't tell you how excited I am about this. It feels so empowering first of all to be raising money that will help local patient programs and support research, but also to be doing something active, something concrete to fight against this disease that nearly took my life and really, did take the life of my daughter. I told Jeremy I was going to make a No Colon & Still Rollin' t-shirt to wear to the walk and he actually laughed. "That's the first time you've ever laughed at any of my colon jokes!" (And believe me, I've told my share of colon jokes.) Up until now, he has said he couldn't laugh. "I've seen too much to laugh Abby." But I got one laugh out of him. So maybe that means the visions and memories of the hard times are fading for him? I sure hope so.

Already people have donated more money to our walk than I anticipated. I'm deeply, deeply touched by that. If you would like to help in the cause, you can go to online.ccfa.org/goto/abbycashman and make a donation. Every little bit counts! I will for sure post pictures of the walk on my blog, so stay tuned!

(And thank you so much to those who have already given!)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there!! Thanks so much for the comments on my blog, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone! I'd love to add your blog to my Crohn's and Colitis list if that's ok? Let me know!! :)

    ReplyDelete