Friday, May 7, 2010

Gassy Gus

May 7, 2010

The night sweats are making me crazy. It's my understanding that night sweats are one of the symptoms that often accompany UC, so that's what I'm attributing them to, but I think I'm going to talk to my doc about them anyway just to make sure there's nothing else going on. But man, could I just get a little break from them please? I wake up in the night with my PJs wet and cold and I go through this little debate about which action would wake me up more - to get up and change my PJs and sheets (which would mean waking Jeremy up too), or to try to go back to sleep wet and cold? If you've ever had night sweats I'm sure you understand the dilemma. Ugh.

The lack of sleep is exhausting me. When I'm tired, it feels like everything is just a little bit harder for me emotionally too. Little annoyances bother me and even worry me more than they normally would. For instance, now I know this is going to sound funny, but I can't really pass gas anymore. Well, I can, but it takes some effort and is only done when I'm in the restroom. Granted, this does remove me from any public embarrassment, but sometimes I think I would trade that risk for comfort. Gas can be mildly painful you know. Fortunately I'm in the bathroom frequently throughout the day relieving myself on a regular enough basis that the bloating that's associated doesn't get too bad. And while there may not be public embarrassment, I do have to talk myself through the fact that it's okay for me to make noises in the bathroom. For the most part I've been able to get to a place mentally where I'm okay with just letting it rip. Hey, you have to have a sense of humor about this stuff, really, or there would just be no way to deal with it.

Okay, so writing this has actually been helpful for me today. Instead of feeling frustrated and worn out about the whole gas thing, I'm kind of laughing at myself. So for that I'm thankful. Any other colonless people out there who have suggestions or share this issue, I'd love to hear from you!! (Maybe it's not a result of having no colon, maybe it's more about the active UC in my rectum, I don't know. One of those minor things I'll talk to my doc about next time I see him.)

Oh yes! And I am so pleased to tell you that Jeremy and I have raised over $1000 so far for our walk!! I cannot believe it!! What generous folks you all are! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! If you're still interested in donating, don't let the fact that we've reached our goal stop you (smile). You can donate at online.ccfa.org/goto/abbycashman and click on "make a gift." Tomorrow's the walk. I'll let you know how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment