Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cool relief

July 8, 2010

I had moments of sweet relief this weekend. Fleeting moments, but ones I held tight to nonetheless. I went to Barnes & Noble by myself, just to browse, to dive into the beauty of the book covers, the stationary, and yes, the baking books! As I walked into the store I inhaled deeply the scent of coffee and books. A smile crept across my face. It was open mic night in the coffee shop area and a group of old hippies strummed their guitars and sang Peter, Paul & Mary songs. After perusing the gifts and greeting cards, I made a beeline for the baking books. Oh they were beautiful; pictures of scrumptious cakes and artisan breads. I poured over the recipes and made mental notes of the techniques described for getting the perfect pie crust. And then I had to force myself to walk away before I started making purchases my budget could not support. But it was a wonderful experience.

On Sunday Jeremy and I went to our HOA pool. For a while it was just the two of us there. We played in the water and laughed together. We held ourselves in the water with our legs swung over the edge of the pool and talked. And for a moment, I laid on my back and floated in the cool water and looked up at the blue sky and white clouds above me. I let the fluid silence soak me and breathed deeply. Another moment I would hold onto. A moment of relief from the anxious thoughts swarming my mind. Cool relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment