Monday, July 19, 2010

The beginning of us

July 19, 2010

In a year full of dates that make my heart hurt, today is one that does quite the opposite. Fourteen years ago today, Jeremy and I went on our first date. It was the offical beginning of the story of us. We sat at our outdoor table at the Freighthouse and talked and ate. At least I ate. Jeremy barely touched his food. I thought it was because I wasn't carrying enough of the conversation so he didn't have time to eat, so I excused myself to the restroom to let him catch up. But when I came back to the table, he still had hardly touched a thing. Later I found out he was too nervous to eat.

I remember bits and pieces of our conversations that night. I talked about wanting to go to law school one day. He talked about his love of music. Ah yes! He's got passion! I remember looking at his hands and thinking how handsome they were. We walked through downtown Stillwater and then walked along the river and talked and talked. And laughed. He always made me laugh. I hadn't planned on falling in love. Really. But when I walked into my apartment that night after the date, I couldn't keep the smile off of my face. My roommates teased me, "I thought you said he was just a friend?"

That was the beginning. The beginning of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment